All this attention reminds me that it's time to review some helpful hints that can help reduce the chances that your luggage will be irretrievably lost. They are:
- If you can, don't check your luggage at all. The airline can't lose it if you're carrying it.
- If you are checking luggage, arrive at the airport at least 1 hour prior to your departure time.
- Recheck to be sure that the luggage tag that the attendant attaches to your bag correctly identifies your destination.
- Make sure that your identification (name, address and phone number) is not only on a luggage tag attached to the outside of your bag but is also available on the inside of your bag.
- Put a copy of your itinerary in your luggage.
- Carry all your valuables and medicines on the plane yourself!
There's nothing you can do to be absolutely sure the airline won't misplace your bags, but following these rules will reduce the risk and then, if the luggage is misplaced, will help the airline return it to you more quickly at your destination.